[olug] sendmail help again (ugh)

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Wed Mar 12 18:08:50 UTC 2008

Whoo! I figured this out.  Sendmail has options to directly queue
messages when the CPU load is over a certain limit.  Evidently this
applies not only messages as they come in, but it affects whether
sendmail will attempt to process anything int the queue, too.

So when I ran sendmail -q and it did NOTHING, it was because the CPU
load was over one of its limits and it therefore ignored the messages.
I changed those limits to something reasonable, then ran sendmail -q -v,
and its processing all the messages.

BUT I have no idea why my load average looks like this: "load average:
22.00, 22.00, 22.00".  Seems kind of odd, doesn't it?  And when I run
top, I see it pretty much staying at 99% idle.  There's not a lot going
on on this server...

-Ryan