[olug] sendmail help again (ugh)

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Mar 11 19:47:21 UTC 2008

>>> I have some (around 30) messages that are stuck in my sendmail queue on
>>> server1.  These are messages to be delivered to another in house mail
>>> server, server2.  I have control over both servers.  No matter what I do
>>> I can't flush them out.
>>
>> If you run:   /usr/sbin/sendmail -q -Ac
>> as root on server1, what shows up in the mail logs?
>
> Nothing.  Same messages are still in the queue when I checked a few
> minutes later, too.

Nothing?  Do you even have a mail log?  In /etc/syslog.conf, make
sure you have something like:
	mail.*    -/var/log/maillog
or
	mail.debug    -/var/log/maillog
If you have to change syslog.conf, make sure you touch the log file
and then kill -HUP the PID for syslogd.  Then flush your sendmail
queue again with the above command (or Dave's version with -v).

If this is a high-volume mail server, you'll want to change syslog's
"*" or "debug" back to "info" after you fix the problem.