[olug] Old Dell 20GB laptop HDD...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Mar 10 17:36:19 UTC 2008

Yup, IBM sold to Hitachi about that time or shortly there after...

I'm trying to think how I'd get the drive from you.  Ironically, my friends
live in Lincoln and we met at Nebraska Crossings on Saturday so I could get
the laptop.  If I can just get my time machine working I'll send this e-mail
last week...

I don't know what shipping would cost, but it wouldn't need to be insured.
:)

I'll keep your offer in mind if I run out of local options.

Thanks,

Dan

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> > To do this, I need a close match.  Here are the specs of the current
> drive:
> >  * Hitachi DK23DA-20 (20GiB HDD)
> >  * ~ 5 years old
> >  * Firmware: 2JA0G0.
> >
> > If anyone has one that's even a Hitachi from the same line (but
> different
> > size and/or firmware), let me know.   It's only 20GB so it'll probably
> be
> > one in the bottom of a box somewhere if you have one. :-)
>
> I have a 10GB IBM Travelstar (model DJSA-210) from Nov 2000.  Didn't
> IBM sell all their drive manufacturing facilities to Hitachi?
> Something in the drive rattles when you flip it upside down, so I bet
> the mechanics of the drive are toast.  It also has a bent interface pin.
>
> --
> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan at jedi.com
>   The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>     Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>       promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)