[olug] Myth TV / Cox Digital Box questions etc

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 23:54:57 UTC 2008

The beauty of Linux-based HTPCs (e.g. Myth, Linux MCE, etc.) is their
scalability.

So long as your tuner is hardware-based (which all of the newer
Hauppage cards are nowadays), your CPU sees very little action.  You
can keep expanding the tuners as you need them (and so long as you
have enough PCI / PCIe slots).  The other cool aspect is the backend /
frontend duality.  My backend manages all of the recordings and other
ripped media.  I can now stream that over the network I have in my
house to any other PC/TV over Ethernet.

In terms of the user interface (post installation/configuration), it's
really easy.  If you can TiVo, you can Myth.

As far as video cards are concerned, I'd go NVidia all the way.  Their
unified driver set works well with Linux.  However, your 3D needs are
relatively low.  Your primary need is to get the video signal out to
your TV.  Since I'm no where near the HD TV scene yet, all my NVidia
cards merely use S-Video output to a standard-def TV.

One other important thing you'll want to consider though once you
start Myth'ing.  Storage.  You can count on a half-hour program
(Standard Def) eating up ~1GB.  Regular DVD movies (depending on what
tracks/feature you pull out) run 4GB to 8GB.  I've purchased a rather
large computer case and other accessories from Jay at RTU to build my
own NAS using FreeNAS.

In terms of getting HD content over cable from COX, I know Hauppage
has a new HD (HVR) series of cards coming out (or already out).  They
can tune clear QAM.  However, I have no doubt COX probably encrypts
their stuff.  I'm sure Google could locate a forum somewhere with
instructions on how to get around that.

Have fun,

Ben