[olug] [Slightly OT] Public IPs through Cisco Routers

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:10:17 UTC 2008

I've got four /24 blocks subnetted from 10.0.0.0 and each subnet is assigned
to each router, with one subnet used for the WAN ports.

The 1600 is assigned 10.0.70.0 but doesn't yet have a LAN-side Ethernet port
The 2600 has 10.0.50.0
The 3600 has 10.0.60.0

I think I've got it working to a point.  I placed the routers' WAN ports on
10.0.10.0/24 (1, 2 and 3) and plugged all of their WAN ports into an
unmanaged switch.  They advertise to each other through RIP and I can see
the routes in "show ip route".  I'm currently working on getting EIGRP up
and running.

I must have been looking for the wrong solution to the wrong problem... I
didn't realize that the WAN port has an IP that's outside of the LAN's
netblock... maybe I should set down the IOS manual and pick up "Networking
for Dummies".

Dan