[olug] College Kid Needs Cisco IOS-based Router

Joel Buhr joel at firstdirectmarketing.com
Fri Jun 6 22:41:51 UTC 2008

I can second that, great guys!
Joel Buhr
First Direct
Marketing Solutions That Fit!
1508 J F Kennedy Dr, Suite 103
Bellevue, NE 68005
PH: (402) 403-0010
FX: (402) 403-0001
www.firstdirectmarketing.com

Message Sent via BlackBerry

----- Original Message -----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org <olug-bounces at olug.org>
To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Fri Jun 06 17:40:50 2008
Subject: Re: [olug] College Kid Needs Cisco IOS-based Router

A good place to pick up used Cisco gear in Omaha is ODI (Optimum Data
Inc).  They are big ebay sellers of used parts.  I went on a warehouse
tour of their place once...they are well stocked and generally pretty
cheap, and if you buy local you don't have to pay shipping/handling/ebay
fees.

My day job is dealing with the care and feeding of a bunch of 6500
series switches...the CatOS experience is valuable from a conceptual
standpoint but not useful from a syntactical sense.  Cisco is phasing
out CatOS and hybrid mode and moving to IOS across the board, and the
new Nexus gear runs NX-OS, that being said it sounds like you have a
passion and interest in networking...it will take you far.  Don't let
the pursuit of your CS degree beat that out of you :-)  You will be
bored and question why they aren't teaching you what you want to know
but ultimately it's worth it.

Shawn
CCNA, CCDA, CNE5/6, Network+ and BS in CS (emphasis on the BS)