[olug] College Kid Needs Cisco IOS-based Router

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 21:06:13 UTC 2008

No, getting a job in their IT department would definitely be a good
thing; you'll be able to put on your resume that you worked in the IT
dept as a freshman, which would be better than as a senior(you should
be looking for internships by then).

Having IOS, Linux, and Waldo(*grin*) experience would give you a leg
up; if they want to move to Linux, they won't have a completely
untrained IT help desk staff. Likewise if they want to move you into
some of their routing stuff.

Where you go after that would depend if you want to go into
routing/networking, system administration, or programming. On your
resume, emphasize the items that contribute directly to what you'll be
doing, and then put the other items in an "Other Skills" section.

By looking to get a leg up on the competition, you already have at
least half a leg up. When I was at ITT, I saw so many people who were
getting an expensive education, but didn't care. I don't know why;
they might as well use something they're paying so much for. Some were
just out of high school; some were out on their own, and are still
working as a checkout clerk at the grocery store.