[olug] College Kid Needs Cisco IOS-based Router

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 07:41:40 UTC 2008

I'll be going to UNL in the fall for CompSci, and I have a feeling that
networking will play a major part in the program.  I've already got what's
essentially a server room set up in my basement, but I want to learn more.
I'm planning on setting up a test lab so I can experiment with a few private
netblocks and ASNs.

I've mastered CatOS on Catalyst switches (4000 and 5000, at least), and the
next logical step for me is moving up to IOS and getting into routing.  I
don't want to go the eBay route, since sellers like to strip out essential
parts of the product and sell them separately (Yeah, because a router
without a WAN card is so useful) and winning 4 auctions just to get
everything I need will be so much more expensive than buying it locally.

Does anyone have any local Cisco routers that they'd be willing to sell?  I
don't need a BFR, but I'd at least like something that's functional and
somewhat modern (no IMP, please) so I can easily adapt to UNL's gear in the
fall.  If you've got a spare router or even some advice, feel free to
contact me.

Thanks!
Dan