[olug] Wireless and Ubuntu

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Jun 3 03:21:37 UTC 2008

Larry Walls wrote:
> I am having trouble moving an Ubuntu desktop from my wired network over
> to wireless.  I have spent several days working on the issues,
> researching solutions, and have failed with each attempt.  I am
> attempting to use a TRENDnet TEW-423PI.  Anyone have any experience with
> this?

The manufacturer's Windows drivers say that the card should have a
Realtek 8185 802.11a/b/g chip. It could work with this:
http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/

However, I need to stress that TRENDnet is one of those card
manufacturers that changes the chip they use with the phase of the moon
- the pictures Newegg has of the TEW-423PI show a Texas Instruments
wireless chip!

There is no guarantee that your particular revision uses a Realtek
wireless chip, and there is no guarantee that a Linux driver exists for
the chipset on your card revision even exists.

It would help a lot if you could post high-resolution pictures of the
card (or the output of lspci with the card in your desktop).

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us