[olug] Web Site Certificates - OT

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 22:52:42 UTC 2008

> I don't know about the ramifications of being spoofed, but on the front
> end, the registrars vary widely on how much verification they do on
> your identity before they put their stamp of approval on you.  Newer
> web browsers (FF3, IE7) now visually indicate how thoroughly your
> identity has been verified.  Some even delve into your D&B or corporate
> tax records to make sure you are who you say you are.  All that leg
> work has to be done by some human who doesn't work for free.

I think with GoDaddy it was a fax of my driver's license.

So, if compromised, its just an 'owell, too bad, thanks for giving us your
money anyway' ?

Annnndddd.... is there any legal standing on using SSL certs for
identification ?

What if we want an SSL cert just to encrypt the transfer, not necessarily
validate that Will Langford does indeed own a given domain... but rather
that a given domain does belong to a given IP address and similar ?  IE:
domain validation rather than entity validation ?

-Will