[olug] Web Site Certificates - OT

Dan Anderson dan-anderson at cox.net
Thu Jul 31 21:31:16 UTC 2008

> How about a community SSL authority that doesn't charge $ for a simple
> process?

That would depend on the browser support - if the CA is a default
listed one in standard browsers then I'd be ok with that for personal
or non-commercial sites.

If the user would have to import import the CA cert themselves then it
wouldn't be much better then a self-signed cert (since some
percentage, probably the less technically adept users, would just skip
the import process and we'd be back to them ignoring the error (and
they'd all have to download the CA cert themselves - hopefully from a
secure site - which could give us a chicken and egg issue)).

Dan