[olug] colocate options in the Omaha area?

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 05:19:42 UTC 2008

Given typical colocation costs, depending on dependability needed, it might
be feasible to get a dedicated connection from say, Cox or Qwest.  Although
if you need dedicated clean power and airconditioning... and 24x7 access or
similar... a facility would be more appropriate.

Otherwise, I believe Cox dedicated business in Bellevue is around $100 a
month for 1mbit up / 12mbit down.... and who knows, might have better
price/bw ratio.  NeNet.net might possibly be a better option depending on
space/bw pricings.

A more plausible solution might be something from colopronto or any other
cheap colocation facility -- and shipping two servers with raid & high
availability.  This way if something dies can cross ship a replacement.

I currently pay around ~150 a month for a 10mbit unmetered connection server
with a quad coreduo, 2gb of ram, raid1'd 250gb hd's.  They also offer an
interesting ssh <> serial console gateway for oh fsck situations.  They're
in/near San Jose tho.  They also (freely i believe) fix any hardware
failures.

Having a machine you can touch is nice, but really.... if it's a public
facing server, ya shouldn't be playing with it too much :).

-Will