[olug] secure lamp configuration research

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 06:35:27 UTC 2008

One option would be to have everything under /var/www/html or wherever
owned by the user who created it(user1,user2,etc). Turn on the setgid
bit for /var/www/html and set that directory's group to webmasters,
which anyone who is authorized to update the website is a part of .
Set permissions as you described.

This will provide tracking of who created a file, while still letting
anyone authorized to update it.

What this won't solve is if several groups are to be permitted to
update it, while others are not i.e. management and webmasters, while
a general it-group cannot update it. It also won't tell you who was
the last person to modify it.

If this isn't what you were referring to, then you'll have to clarify
your question; I tried my best to identify and answer the question
asked.