[olug] OT: hauppauge hd pvr and something else weird

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:29:27 UTC 2008

> In my (limited) experience, start by checking the cables between the
> systems.  Make sure they are fully seated and aren't kinked or looped over
> other power cables or lighting (if running through the ceiling).  My bad
> analog TV signal was primarialy due to a cord that had been pulled tight and
> it was nearly a 90-degree turn out of the wall connector.  After replacing
> the cord with a longer new one the issue went away.
>
> Any chance you could get a shielded cable and ground both ends to a common
> ground?
>
> Dan

On a similar note, I've seen cat5/cat6 cables run across fluorescent
ceiling tile lights... and people couldn't understand why they were
getting network issues...

Anyhoo.. I live in an apartment with brick exterior.  I'm fairly
certain I'd have a hard time finding a common ground.  Also, there are
a couple patch spots where a male<=>male thing is used to group a
couple cables together :(.  The wire going around the outside of the
apartment undoubtedly makes some nasty turns, I'll have to check.  The
curious bit will be how the cable is ran inside the house, I believe
it's just a drilled-hole-with-insulation through a window sill heh.

Also, to note, I do have GHz spec'd splitters (a 2 way and a 3 way,
only one is installed tho, and yes I've swapped them to no avail).

I'll take a look around the cabling areas and see what I can find.  I
imagine I might end up getting a run of new cable and have to cut the
old one out :/.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

-Will