[olug] Networking issue

51 at triopticon.com 51 at triopticon.com
Thu Jul 17 14:57:28 UTC 2008

> a front-end application attaching to a MDB file on a server

Right there is your most significant technical symptom.

> The company is washing their hands of me as it stands
> right now so I am GOING to have to figure this out on my own

So you're a free agent now:  Fix the technical problem by replacing
decade-old technology with something better.

Why are you continuing to waste your time with this thankless project?
Each moment you devote to dead-end Access could better be spent with
friends, family or something educational.

Some clients need to be fired.  I've done it for the exact same reason,
Access 97 etc., and just over a year ago.  Subsequently I turned down
another gig for some high-dollar financial organization because -- you
guessed it: Access and the mindset that what was good enough ten years ago
must still be good today, even though all the decision-makers drive new
cars.

It's amazing how well Access held up, and how it's still holding up
advancement for so many.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

--