[olug] DNS exploit VU#800113 - should we be alarmed?

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 20:20:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Will Langford wrote:
>> ;; SERVER: 10.0.33.164#53(10.0.33.164)
>>
>> Update that machine at that address with newer packages/updates.  I
>> believe most major distributions should have updates.
>
> I just applied the security fixes last night and restarted BIND... and I still
> get POOR... is it cached?

I didn't flush cache or do anything else with the slackware update
(bind-9.4.2_P1)... was just a package install and a named restart and
everything seemed kosher with no extra work from me.  So I'd assume
it's unrelated to a cache.  Also, speaking out of my ass -- I don't
believe caching bits of bind actually keep the 'cache' on disk, but
just in RAM ?

At the moment, the only linux distro I use in a gateway situation is
slackware... so I can't speak on behalf of other distros :(.

-Will