[olug] Cox DVR questions...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Jul 8 18:56:37 UTC 2008

After using the the Cox DVR, I'm really missing my old ReplayTV DVR.  Sadly
ReplayTV doesn't sell the boxes anymore (they're pushing their software for
Windows systems), and I don't want to purchase one off of eBay.

I'm kicking around the idea of building a Linux MCE (
http://www.linuxmce.org/) or MythTV system so I'm wanting to pick the
collective OLUG brain.  I like the LinuxMCE interface and I'd probably
support them by purchasing their remote - I'm already drowing in too many
NON-universal remotes as it is!

Starting with the motherboard, does anyone know of a motherboard that has
decent video out that will send a composite signal to feed my analog tv?
(Bonus points if it has Linux compatible HDMI ports for future use.)

My daughters have really latched on to some shows on "Noggin" (channel
257).  Will any digital tuner card pull in this channel?   Is this channel
encrypted on the wire?

(If it's encrypted, then that implies that you're forced to purchase a COX
piece of hardware instead of using more commodity equipment.  Just doesn't
seem right if I'm already paying for the channels that I'd have to use a
"blessed" piece of hardware too...)

Dan