[olug] $10 / 2GB MP3 player for Linux

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Thu Jul 3 15:08:28 UTC 2008

That is such a total strawman. Portable media devices use firmware chips to
decode audio, and so are limited by their hardware in what formats they
support. In contrast, PCs are the opposite: it is the software which
supports the hardware. This is the entire reason why you can run an
unsupported operating system, even though the manufacturer didn't explicitly
design the hardware to support it.

In the near future, handheld devices will have the computing power to decode
media in software rather than hardware, and will therefore be far more
flexible.