[olug] $10 / 2GB MP3 player for Linux

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 15:39:23 UTC 2008

> What else are you going to listen to? Todd & Tyler??? ;)

Wonder how many other readers actually groaned at that comment heh.
Coworker listens to them often, highly annoying.

Before experiencing itunes/ipod encoding stuffs, since OGG was better
for me than the other formats, I did do some research into players
that supported the format, but at the time it was... like... 2 or 3
heh (some years ago).  I imagine firmware space and time to devel, or
perhaps the lack of dedicated hardware to decode... but using MPXPLAY
(an oldschoolish multiformat player that runs in DOS as well) -- on a
266mhz pentium 1 ish class system, MP3 takes about 30-40% CPU, WMA
around 50%, and OGG about 15-20% :).  Granted, the implementations for
each respected decoder could be a cause of the difference.... but that
still speaks good things about OGG design :).

Also, I'm unsure if the player uses the tremor/non-fpu based OGG decoder or not.

-Will