[olug] Political statements and other oddities in software licenses

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Jan 28 19:16:10 UTC 2008

> Take a look at this software license:
> http://www.wiili.org/index.php/GlovePIE#Copyright_Notice
>
> For those that don't want to follow the link, here are some highlights:
> - You may not use this software directly or indirectly for any military purpose.
> - You may not export this software to Israel, or use it in Israel
> - Missionaries may not use this software
>
> What do you all think of pushing your political (or whatever else) agenda
> in your software licenses? Is this the right thing to do? Is this an
> effective way to raise awareness about the issues you care about the most?

I think addressing anything other than legal and commercial issues in
a EULA is pretty silly, personally.  You're certainly entitled to put
anything you want in the EULA for software that you create, but expecting
people to read it -- let alone follow it -- is another matter entirely.
I think the best you can hope for with the above license is to give people
a little chuckle.

I've been at this open source software thing for almost 20 years now,
and I can't say that I've ever read the entire text of a license.