[olug] Browsable IRC Logs

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 01:32:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 1:40 PM, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave Thacker wrote:
> > I'm looking for a tool to read IRC logs and make them available via a
> web
> > page.  Do any of you OLUG members have a preference?
> >

> Pidgin.
>
> You can do IRC w/Pidgin and save your logs as HTML.
>
> Eric

i bet he doesn't want to be logged into IRC all the time, but have a way to
search the IRC discussions that he missed.  Probably his own
#ubuntu-nebraska channel.  Apparently, there is some discussion on
http://blog.freenode.net/?p=62 on this topic you may want to read or not
because it gets kinda bureaucratic.  Personally, any body that thinks that
what what they type in a chatroom may not be "published" is whacked.  The
following is pulled from the link:

   1. Logging bots clearly identifiable as such.
   2. Logging of channels occurring only at the channel owners' request.
   3. Channels that opt in to this service displaying, in a way which is
   visible to all current and new users of the channel, that the channel is
   being logged and the logs made publically available on the web. The channel
   topic and on-join notice could easily be used to this effect.
   4. An easy method to remove logging bots from a channel should it join
   in error or a channel owner decide that they no longer wish their channel to
   be logged.