[olug] self extracting encrypted file, windows compatible?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Thu Jan 24 20:52:33 UTC 2008

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> If you are on Ubuntu...
> $ sudo aptitude install p7zip~n
> $ 7z a -mhe=on -pmypassword -sfx encrypted-archive.exe
> /path/to/unencrypted/files

I can't get this to work, have you done it before?  When I try to run
the generated executable on my windows machine I get "Program too big to
fit in memory", which usually means a corrupt exe.  I've tried using
both the 7z and 7za programs, and I've tried -tzip -t7z, and I always
get the same error.  I've tried removing the -pmypassword option, too.
And the mhe option.

-Ryan