[olug] ping modem

Jaymz Ringler jringler at neinfosec.com
Wed Jan 23 03:09:11 UTC 2008

Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
> I keep losing my connection to the outside world, though my LAN is fine
> and Cox says my modem is fine.  Usually I end up resetting the modem and
> sometimes the routers too.  There's got to be something wrong between
> the modem and the router.  How can I troubleshoot what it might be?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Down here in Lincoln, Time Warner had issues with the Toshiba cable
modems.   They wouldn't admit it of course or were completely oblivious
to the issue.  My friend is a tv repairman and he has a killer set of
tools..   We figured after opening a a few culprit boxes that Toshiba
must have purchased a bunch of the bad capacitors that were plaguing
lots of consumer electronics a few years ago.    As the device got a
little older, the caps would wear prematurely and cause intermittent
failure of the device.

The bad caps in the cable modems would cause intermittent failures such
that the cable modem would quit passing traffic, but would continue to
run, and would be accessible from the provider's side and show no issues
in the logs..   They were almost impossible to troubleshoot, because the
techs @ TW wouldn't have any way to test it.   A power cycle would
however solve the issue temporarily.     I've had quite a few clients
and friends that have traded their cable modems in because of this
issue.   They're no longer using the old Toshiba cable modems and have
had no issues with the new modems.