[olug] cups

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 21:20:05 UTC 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 5:08 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3 at cox.net> wrote:

> I need the best online CUPS reference you know of.  I've tried
> off-and-on for several months now to set up a print server to share my
> laser printer at home.  The backend works fine - if I log in and
> manually give the print command it spits out the hardcopy.  But every
> attempt to set up CUPS fails.  I need a reference that is strong on
> troubleshooting so I can figure this out.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
> --
> Tim & Alethea
> christtrek.org

Sorry i don't have a reference for cups.
Have you ruled out the firewall?
Can you open http(s)://ipaddress:631/ <http://ipaddress:631/> from another
machine on the LAN?  From localhost:631?
Does netstat -an indicate port 631 is shared on anything but 127.0.0.1?

#Generate a list of your firewall rules:
iptables -list
#Turn off the firewall _temporarily_ on many machines:
service iptables stop
#Turn the firewall back on:
service iptables start

Over the New Year's Holidays, i had to do some big backups.  mounting with
type CIFS worked where smbfs did not.   Are your clients trying to print
using SaMBa, lpr, or some goofy Internet Print Protocol?