[olug] Network drives on a laptop?

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Mon Jan 7 15:00:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Daniel Pfile wrote:

> How do you all handle your network drives on a laptop? With nfs or samba
> if I'm plugged in on ethernet, put the laptop to sleep, and wake it back
> up with wifi, the network mounts (of course) hang. Then I sit there are
> have to locate who has the mount open, get it to close out and convince
> the share to unmount. :( There are a few options, like write some
> scripts to fire off with acpid on network/lid events. Or, I could try
> something like AFS, but I'm not sure how well that would work in
> practice. I have full control of my home server, which is all I'm
> concerned about, so server side changes are an option.

Are you mounting the Samba shares as CIFS or SMBFS?  CIFS is pretty
robust, and I'd be surprised if it had this problem.

That said, I speak entirely without experience of this sort of thing,
so YMMV. :)

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University