[olug] Network drives on a laptop?

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Mon Jan 7 14:41:10 UTC 2008

How do you all handle your network drives on a laptop? With nfs or samba
if I'm plugged in on ethernet, put the laptop to sleep, and wake it back
up with wifi, the network mounts (of course) hang. Then I sit there are
have to locate who has the mount open, get it to close out and convince
the share to unmount. :( There are a few options, like write some
scripts to fire off with acpid on network/lid events. Or, I could try
something like AFS, but I'm not sure how well that would work in
practice. I have full control of my home server, which is all I'm
concerned about, so server side changes are an option.

Any suggestions?

-- Daniel