[olug] Laptop Options 2

Corey Spitzer techmonkey4u at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 00:17:09 UTC 2008

Hey, nice to know you all.
I'm looking for a laptop, preferrably a Dell around 1.8 - 2.2 GHZ, 2GB
RAM, less than $1200 for mostly on-the-road development and
presentations.  The thing is I really, really want to run Compiz
Fusion on this thing.

I naively ordered an Inspiron 1525 last week with the integrated X3100
GMA video and default Dell wifi, both of which I later found might be
an issue with Compiz Fusion and Ubuntu, respectively.  From google, I
found the X3100 is currently blacklisted and may not have the power
needed though I read some forums describing a roundabout way to get it
to *mostly* work and I ran across some threads describing troubles
getting the wifi card working.  I also discovered the 1525 is a brand
new model, launched last month (give or take) so that didn't sit well.
 I cancelled my order so I'm back to where I was.  I did a
side-by-side comparison between the Inspiron 1525 (Vista out of the
box) and the 1420N (Ubuntu out of the box) and with the online coupon
I had, the difference was exactly $1 and the 1525 had a bigger screen,
built-in webcam, and everything else was pretty comparable.

I definitely need a laptop within the next 30 days.  Any thoughts?