[olug] Zimbra Opinion

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri Feb 15 00:42:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Craig Wolf <CJWolf at mpsomaha.org> wrote:
> Anyone used Zimbra before?  If so, can I get your opinion??
>
>  I was trying to find a project to do while the wife is away for 3 weeks and I think this would be a fun one to setup at my home as well as very useful!

I haven't used it, but we did look at it a bit at work not long ago.
Showed some real promise and potential, and if we didn't already have
a substantial investment in Outlook and Exchange, we might have gotten
enough of a push to give it a test run.

I also thought about running it at home, after my old mail server
died.  I ended up throwing together Google Apps for Domains as a quick
and dirty interim solution, though.  After running for a couple of
weeks on that, I was impressed enough with it that I ended up deciding
against handling my own e-mail (after having run my own mail server
for 10 years).

I do know there are some questions about Zimbra's future, with
Microsoft's push towards potentially acquiring Yahoo! (who owns
Zimbra).

--
Christopher