[olug] verbose logging removed from BIND - Why?

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Feb 14 16:53:32 UTC 2008

> Anyone have insight as to why BIND removed the more verbose logging from
> later versions, that was included in previous versions?

What sort of verbose logging, and from which version?  I still get
pretty verbose debugging output in the categories of my choosing
from 9.3.3 using the following syntax in the config file:

logging {
  channel "default" {
    file "/opt/incontrol/log/dns-default.log" versions 10 size 1m;
    severity info;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
  };
  channel "xfer" {
    file "/opt/incontrol/log/dns-xfer.log" versions 10 size 1m;
    severity debug;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
  };
  channel "security" {
    file "/opt/incontrol/log/dns-security.log" versions 10 size 1m;
    severity info;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
  };
  channel "query" {
    file "/opt/incontrol/log/dns-query.log" versions 10 size 3m;
    severity debug;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
  };
  channel "ddns" {
    file "/opt/incontrol/log/dns-ddns.log" versions 9 size 1m;
    severity info;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
  };