[olug] Allocating 3GB of memory for the JVM?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Tue Feb 12 16:02:00 UTC 2008

Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Ryan Stille wrote:
>
>> Is there such a limitation on Linux? (32 bit CentOS)  We're considering
>> switching one of our severs if we can easily allocate 3GB or so, without
>> resorting to any 64-bit hassles.
>>

> *any* OS will have a limit.
>
> *any* 32-bit OS will have a limit in the 2GB to 3GB range.
>
> Except for very very rare kernels 32-bit x86 Linux machines have a
> 3GB/1GB user/kernel split.
>
> IMO it is inevitable that you switch to a 64-bit OS & JVM

If I could get 3GB, that would be enough of a reason to switch I think.
The comments on this article (http://www.petefreitag.com/item/140.cfm)
says that Linux provides 3GB virtual address space, but only 2GB of
contiguous - I don't understand how they differ...  then another comment
says Fedora (and I assume most Linux's by now) can offer 4GB of virtual
address space.

-Ryan