[olug] Allocating 3GB of memory for the JVM?

swanpoint swanpoint at cox.net
Tue Feb 12 05:50:12 UTC 2008

x86-64 (x86 w/ 64-bit extensions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

there's a difference a 64-bit ISA vs 32-bit ISA w/ extensions (for large
memmory addresses.)

Mostly all, if not all, current HP/Dell/IBM, x86 hardware is of the
x86-64 type.

Most of the Supermicro and Tyan boards support this hardware type.

It's then a matter of getting an x86-64 enabled Linux distro that
supports the x86-64 enabled application software.