[olug] Mobo/Video recommendations

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 20:32:36 UTC 2008

Favoring AMD myself, I've found few motherboards that really have any problems with any O/S.  I HAVE run into one situation where the BIOS was so far behind that I had to have a stick of old RAM to get it to boot and then flash, but that's an extreme case, and for many of us complete geeks, not much of an issue.  The average user doesn't have RAM laying around, but the average user isn't building his own system, either.  (For the record, the mobo I have isn't technically rated to handle the Sempron CPU I got with it, without a BIOS flash, so I expected issues during the install).
As far as video goes, I pulled my ATI x1600 Pro/512 and replaced it with a 7800GSOC because 3D just didn't install (that's been over a year ago, so maybe that's changed).
I don't do bleeding edge myself, since if you wait a year the parts can cost half as much; my Sempron 3400+ is probably around $30 now, and this old AGP board still plays every game I have at 1680x1050 resolution.
For a small server, if you were getting along fine with a PIII, a dual core Athlon or even one of the older Sempron CPUs may be more than you need for quite a while (I recall the 6000+ being under $200 quite a while back at Newegg). Chances are that's more than most people will need for a long while, and this includes gamers.
I always go for some overkill as far as making sure things can be expanded to suit my needs; extra PCI slots, lots of RAM capability, higher CPU speed handling (if I'm not already buying the highest the mobo will take).

http://www.ericshaus.com
I ran the Harry Potter books through a spell checker; none of those spells should work.