[olug] DNS & NAT examples needed

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Dec 31 20:07:14 UTC 2008

> What I can't seem to get my head wrapped around is how to translate all of the services/servers back out through a single public IP.

You'll want to NAT them all to a single IP, but then have the NAT box
(linksys?) route incoming traffic to the appropriate server based on
the port number of the connection.  This means that only one back-end
server can be contacted on port 80, for example.  If you really must
have two separate boxes accepting web traffic, you'll have to move
one of them to a different port number or run them behind a reverse
web proxy like "pound" or "squid."

I've never had to do port-based routing, so I can't help you with
specifics.  I have setup both pound & squid to do reverse proxying.
Pound is much easier, but can't handle SSL back-end servers (it will
do SSL front end connections, though).