[olug] Video Conversion Help

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Mon Dec 29 01:27:18 UTC 2008

There's some OK Linux applications for encoding, such as mencoder or
Avidemux (a Virtualdub <http://virtualdub.org> clone), but there's a LOT of
tweaking you'll want to do before final encoding in order to make the video
look really good.

In my experience, you can't beat Avisynth <http://www.avisynth.org/>. It's
an open-source video processing system for Windows that creates a video
frameserver that you can manipulate through a simple scripting language. You
can do really advanced ivtc/deinterlacing that simply isn't possible
elsewhere. It's also significantly faster than most applications. If you
need help setting up a test workflow, I can give you some pointers.

The doom9 <http://doom9.net/> forum is a good place to go for help as well.