[olug] Amarok 2 is finally out.

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Wed Dec 17 18:43:13 UTC 2008

I've been a longtime user of 1.4, but this new version just looks awful to
me. They've crammed the ui into much tighter spaces to make room for this
new plasma window, which I have yet to see be put to any good use. 1.4
suffered from a lot of ui clutter, but this doesn't strike me as an
improvement; simply a different kind of bad.

I currently favor Banshee, which has a significantly cleaner design and has
99% of the feature set I require. Its ipod support isn't quite as good,
which could have been a dealbreaker; however I happen to have upgraded to a
Touch, which as it turns out is unable to be synced in Linux at all. The
iPod Touch is a wonderful device, but being forced to boot into Vista to
sync new music to it has substantially dampened by enthusiasm.