[olug] disable the default search domain?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Thu Dec 11 20:01:52 UTC 2008

We control our own DNS.  I can't remove the wildcard, that wasn't my call.

I don't have a "search" or "domain" entry in my resolv.conf file.  Whats
tripping me up is this, from the man page:

   If domain isn't specified, the domain will be determined
   from the local domain name (whatever comes after the first
   dot). If the host name doesn't contain a domain, the root
   domain is used.

I'm not sure what is meant by the root domain, but removing the
"mydomain.com" part from my hostname fixes the problem.  But I thought
there would be a better way to turn this off, also I'm not sure what
other things might be adversely affected by removing the domain from the
hostname.

-Ryan