[olug] disable the default search domain?

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 19:45:22 UTC 2008

Presuming that you have control over the DNS server. Why do you need a
wildcard DNS at all? If you don't have control over the DNS server,
such as using the ones your ISP gave you, then I'd recommend using
servers that don't have wildcard settings. Cox does this by default
and gives you the option of manually setting DNS settings to another
server that doesn't have wildcards. It's a one-time configuration, so
it shouldn't be much of an inconvenience.

Alternatively, I'd look at the man page for resolv.conf and check out
the setting for "domain"; that and "search x" are mutually exclusive
because one permits multiple while the other does not.