[olug] NAS Cluster

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Dec 9 15:52:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Curtis LaMasters
<curtislamasters at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have been using it at my company for about 6 months in light beta and
> I've been using it for about a year at home.  It replaced my FreeNAS server
> with great success.  On a side note, it is Debian based I believe.

I believe it used to be Debian based, but the last few releases have
been rPath Linux based.

For those not familiar with it, rPath is a Linux distribution and
company founded by a couple of long-time Red Hat guys.  The one I
recognized was Erik Troan, who was heavily involved with a number of
development projects, including RPM, and authored Linux Application
Development (I have this book, which is why I knew his name).  rPath
is specifically designed as as an appliance-oriented distribution.
Lots of  features around building and updated appliances.  For
example, from a single 'recipe', you can build an appliance disk
image, CD insatller, or virtual image for multiple format.  Some cool
stuff there.

At my previous job, we did some research into rPath as a potential
platform for a specialized Linux service appliance we developed.  The
end result was that we really liked a lot of what we were seeing.  We
wished we'd had more time available to us before the next release was
required, to investigate it further.  I think if we'd had more time
flexibility, we might have gone with it.

--
Christopher