[olug] Google's Secret OS

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri Dec 5 22:41:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
 > Google denied making a browser while secretly developing one for
> years.  Google denied jumping in the cell phone pool while secretly
> working on it.  Is it possible Google is developing a new OS?

Internally, Google has a customized Ubuntu based Linux distribution
that they use, and offer as a (supported) desktop option.  I'm not
sure I see a strong enough benefit for them to push that externally,
though.  The impression I get is more that Google wants to take the OS
out of the equation, pushing the web based applications (Gmail, Google
Apps, etc).

--
Christopher