[olug] Linux Phone

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 16:40:05 UTC 2008

The wife-type-person and I are due for some new phones in January.
While overall ATT/Cingular has been decent to us, I get zero reception
at work (underground in a giant cement building - go figure) so we're
open to switching networks.  While we don't need them, we are
considering jumping on the smart phone bandwagon.  I'd really like to
get a Linux phone, and am very curious about the Android platform.
However as I understand it, T-Mobile has the only Android phone at the
moment.  T-Mobile has horrible coverage in Omaha, poor calling plans,
and the phone isn't getting great reviews either.

I read all year that the successor to the HTC Touch Pro would be
called the HTC Touch Dream, and it would be an Android phone launching
in November.  Well it is December and I'm not seeing any information
on them.  Any idea when they might launch?  Which networks?

What other Linux phone options are there out there for me?  OpenMoko
looks cool, but not ready for primetime last I checked.

I keep smacking my wife when she suggests the iPhone but the
conditioning isn't working.  She just salivates when she hears a bell
ring.

-- T. J.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams
"Nihilism makes me smile."
--Christopher Quick