[olug] Command SCP client for Windows

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Dec 4 14:36:37 UTC 2008

I'm trying to setup a number of windows systems at work to upload files to a
central Linux server using scp and authorized keys to allow for hands-off
automation.

I started with PuTTY's "pscp.exe", but it has some drawbacks I can't work
around:
 * The first time it connects, it asks if the ssh fingerprint is OK.  It
won't let you use a command line switch to work around this.
 * All connection information is stored in the registry.  I'd really like to
use something that stores this in simple text files.
 * The identification key that comes from the Linux server has to be
modified with PuttyGen to convert it to their format.

I looked at WinSCP, but it needs the PuttyGen converted keys too.
 * Each location will be reporting back to a different server with a
different admin, so creating a new key for the client based on their server
is going to add a lot of overhead to my end.

CygWin crossed my mind, but it's a lot more than I'd like to have my users
install.

Can anyone point me to a free/gpl/oss command line client for Windows
systems that performs just the scp/sftp function using an OpenSSH key format
and saves the configuration information in text files?

I had hoped that the OpenSSH.org folks would have released a Windows
command-line version of their tools, but all their links point me to GUI
clients.

On a side topic, anyone ever tackled cross-compiling a Win32 text-only
program under Linux? :-)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal