[olug] Handhelds/wearables

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Dec 2 02:24:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Luke Dashjr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> Netbooks don't fit in my pocket, and are being phased out by Intel (AMD has
> never had an interest).

The smallest 7" ones come pretty close to pocket sized, depending on
the size of your pockets.

As for their future, I definitely wouldn't be writing them off right
now.  New ones are being released almost every few weeks, and they're
selling quite well.  Intel is still making the Atom CPU, and has a
roadmap showing multiple future revisions.  I've seen nothing at all
to even suggest they're being phased out (the closest I've seen was an
article a few days ago suggesting that Intel is seeing them as a
complement to Notebooks, not a replacement).  And, while AMD isn't
making a Netbook specific CPU, it is making a couple of 'ultra mobile'
notebook CPUs, and expects that the CPUs will see some use in
Netbooks.  Either way, whether they're being made in 5 years or not
shouldn't have a big impact on what you buy now.

If a Netbook won't work, and you're not interested in a Nokia N810,
there's very litlte left in the way of options in that size.  About
the only ohter ones I know of are the Wibrain UMPC ($600+, hard to
find), or the OQO ($1300-$2700).

--
Christopher