[olug] OT: poll question

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:43:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Luke Dashjr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 August 2008 10:35:10 Will Langford wrote:
> > The jist of it is, if I don't spend the $12 a week on ciggies, I'd spend
> > that $12 a week on something else.... not pocket it for a big item some
> > day.
>
> (intentionally taking this to third person)
>
> If somebody has this problem, he should really work on self
> discipline/control, IMO. I would suggest he stop spending any money except
> the
> real necessities (food, bills mainly).

It's not necessarily that I buy other nonsensical stuff... I just find
something else that suits my fancy.  Maybe chocolate, some neat game or
software, maybe an extra trip to a fast food joint.  Ciggies are more or a
less a luxury expense (an addiction feeding one, but so is coffee)... as
such, if i don't spend luxury money on ciggies, i'd spend it elsewhere :).

> Myself, I tend to make one or two non-necessity purchases a year, max.

Aye, twice a year max myself as well.  This year is gonna go a bit over that
with the MythTV experiment I have yet to attempt, and another entrepreneur
idea I've got floating around my head :)

> My newest computer is an Athlon64 3200+ from 3 or 4 years ago, and it has
> worked fine up until recently (dead PSU), with no need for a new machine.
> And
> the interesting part is that I don't really even need it-- I do most
> everything on my 1 GHz laptop. Anyhow, this is my view on necessities. :)

I traded doing some of my coworkers CE homework for a pentium d 3.2ghz with
2gb of ram and raid1 250gb drives.  Wasn't technically out of pocket :).
Prior to that, was an AthlonXP around 1.3ghz I think.  It's ncie to be back
on more than a single core... used to run dual 450 xeons i got cheap from
computer show in town :).

-Will