[olug] OT: poll question

Matthew Platte 51 at triopticon.com
Tue Aug 19 15:39:20 UTC 2008

I started at age 13.  The body rush, tingling fingers and such, was the
major attraction then.  I was proud of my Bugler rolling skillz.  Ten
years later I coughed up a lugie with a black spot on it; freaked me out
and that, as they say, was the end of it.  11/11/1974 to be precise.

Fast forward another ten years. I'm working construction, re-modeling a
bar in Lakewood, CO and for some unknown reason decide that smoking a
Camel would be a good idea. ? Few minutes later I'm horribly sick to my
stomach, pounding headache and upstairs the bagpipe band (it's a bar,
remember) begins.  Two+ hours of hell on earth!

Fast forward to yesterday.  Walking into a grocery store, I see someone
whacking her fresh pack of Newports (did that *ever* make sense?) -- and I
feel the gag reflex.

So yeah, there's a conditioning effect.  Once you get it turned around,
you won't be reaching for a cigarette very often.

--