[olug] Developers with a sense of humor, or lack of maturity?

Dan Anderson dan-anderson at cox.net
Thu Aug 14 02:45:23 UTC 2008

I'd vote for funny...

Years ago I worked with an Lt at HQ SAC who wrote a slick "dashboard"
type app that took textual network status reports and displayed them
graphically on a map.  He called it "Global Oriented Network Automated
Display System"...  I think it was officially shortened to "NADS" -
which was still just as funny.

A few years later my programming team was tasked with writing a "file
ingest" process, which was basically a custom FTP server.  In the RFC
for FTP it suggests that the server offer a "Friendly" greeting upon
connection.  In "tribute" to one of the SSgt's, from the south, who
worked with us, our "friendly" greeting was "Howdy Yall!  Geet yet?"

I suppose they could both be technically considered unprofessional,
but maybe sometimes it is worth sacrificing a little professionalism
in the name of morale.

Dan