[olug] Hauppauge TV card recommendations

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Apr 18 18:01:23 UTC 2008

> I don't have cable TV, but I will be getting a digital converter whatchamajig for my analog TV and 9' antenna.  So I'd
> like to run the signal from that through the Hauppauge TV card/MythTV setup on the way to the TV.

I don't have first-hand experience with any of those cards, but I have been
receiving digital TV over the air for about 3 years now.  It works great
most of the time.  Anyway, those "digital converter whatchamajigs" are
ATSC tuners.  They do the same thing that the NTSC (analog) tuner in your
current TV or VCR does--convert the over-the-air (OTA) signal into a line-out
for your AV equipment.  Any TV tuner card with an ATSC tuner (like the
Hauppauge cards) will do the same thing, so you don't need a separate box
if you'll also be using Myth.  Just run your antenna coax directly into
the tuner card.