[olug] RDAC or SDD for ESX 3.5?

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Tue Apr 15 22:35:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 04:34:08PM -0500, Hurley Rod wrote:
> Here are the reasons why I am now done with this group:
> 1.)  There is NO reason for smack talk, or belittlement, or
> condescending remarks when someone posts an honest question on here.  Of
> all the crud that passes through this board, you would think a legit
> question might be seen more as an opportunity, or challenge; rather than
> the way it was addressed.

Just to be clear, I was making no attempt at "smack talk" or "belittlement"
of you in my response to your question. I was giving my best effort to
respond to your question with the knowledge and experience I have with
VMware ESX. I'm not VCP certified and I've not used the hardware you were
asking about, so it was a best effort.

> 2.)  I have a CAREER in the IT field, whether I know little about linux
> or not.  I fully understand what support agreements are, and when and
> where to have them. I would like to learn more linux and spread the
> word, but not when I get this type of treatment.  There seems to be some
> resentment from those who do not make a career out this business toward
> those that do.

Just to be clear, I also have a career in the IT field. As a Systems
Architect, I'm responsible for many servers, storage, and backup systems.
Among those servers are four VMware ESX 3.0.2 boxes running on IBM x3850s
with 8 cores and 64GB of RAM each. They all are multipath connected to an
HDS Thunder through Brocade 4900s. I do make a career out of this, and I do
enjoy helping others when I can. I'm sorry if you felt that I wasn't
helping, but I really was.

> 3.)  The group is NOT called OPEN SOURCE LINUX USERS GROUP.  It is Omaha
> Linux User's group.  So if I have a linux question, you can either
> answer it, or get spiteful because it is not an Ubuntu distro.

Other than ESX using modified Linux drivers and having a Linux service
console, I'm not sure how this was even really much of a Linux question to
start with. Now, I'm not saying you should have sent it here. I'm just
saying I'm confused as to why you're bringing up Linux so much here. And
again, I was trying to help. I wasn't trying to be spiteful. If I wanted to
be spiteful, I'd have just said "RTFM." I refer to VMware documentation
quite often, so I'm not sure how pointing you to that is in any way
spiteful or mean. I'm also not quite sure why you seem to take offense at
people pointing you to more proper forums for VMware questions, which
aren't really Linux questions.

Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at smkelly.org | http://www.smkelly.org