[olug] Samba roaming profiles

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Apr 13 17:19:53 UTC 2008

Craig Wolf wrote:
> So if I redirect Desktop, My Docs, etc. when a laptop user logs back
> into the network, what happens to the files they WERE using/updating
> at home...do they sync or do they get overwritten?  Do I setup 2
> accounts for them on the laptop: 1. for home, 1 for work or 1 accoutn
> that is a local user AND a network user? Web searching and consensus
> here from those with knowledge is leading me to remove the roaming
> profiles BUT I don't want lost files again.  That is embarrassing!

If you use offline files you only need one account on the machine: the
domain login account. The default configuration for domain member
Windows desktops is to cache the domain credentials, so that if the
domain controller isn't available the user can still log in.

When the client machine syncs the Offline Files cache, it does just
that: it syncs; the client machine keeps track of which files have been
changed locally, if a particular file has been changed on the server
*and* the laptop it asks what to do.

If you are uncertain about how it will behave, test it before you roll
it out company-wide.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us