[olug] get web server host name

George Neill georgen at neillnet.com
Fri Apr 11 03:15:01 UTC 2008

>  What I have is a group of servers some at site 'A', some at site 'B' some at
>  site 'C' with a weighted load balancer system, (IBM Edge, these are
>  websphere boxes)
>
>  The team that owns the applications running on them want a light diag script
>  to get (most likely via lwp) wwwXX.domain.com XXX number of times, and count
>  how many times each server responds.
>  If the clusting is working correctly, multiple hits should bounce about the
>  groups of servers. They want to count how many times site 'A' server 1
>  responds and site 'A' server 2 responds, etc....

Your load balancer should already have this information handy for diag
purposes.  If LVS, i'd  use ipvsadm --stats  to watch volume/requests
per real server.   If you need more than that ... you'll probably have
to request the "team that owns" to stick code in their web
application.

They could bow to the evil gods of google,
http://www.google.com/analytics ... if that's the kind of stuff they
are really after.

HTH,
George.