[olug] VirtualBox?

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Thu Apr 3 05:52:59 UTC 2008

I think you're misunderstanding what copyright means in relation to Free
Software. All GPL code is copyrighted by whoever wrote the software. This
can get a little complicated if there are a lot of authors, but under US law
any code you write is automatically copyrighted. What the GPL does is
provide an agreement to not exercise those rights as long as certain
conditions are met. That's why it's possible to violate the GPL in the first
place -- the rights to the code still exist and will default back to
copyright infringement if the terms of the license are not upheld.

The fact that Innotek (now Sun) owns the copyright on (some of) the code for
VirtualBox does not mean it isn't Free Software.